Friday, May 30, 2008

The Ring

Mr. Olive and I occasionally talked about what my engagement ring might look like. We went to look at engagement rings together a couple of times during the first year we were dating but I never told Mr. Olive about any specific design that I wanted. My only requirement was not too big! I don't wear a lot of jewelery and I wasn't comfortable with the idea of having a large or flashy ring.
Mr. Olive had always told me that he preferred the solitaire Tiffany Setting so naturally this is what I expected my ring would look like. I loved the simplicity of this setting so I was happy with Mr. Olive's choice.

The Tiffany Setting

It was important to me to avoid blood diamonds and Mr. Olive was lucky enough to have a family stone that he could use for my ring. His sister had a pair of diamond stud earrings that she had inherited from their grandmother. She offered to let Mr. Olive use one of the stones for my ring. He took this stone to a jeweler in his home town and designed the setting all by himself! The final product was a very unique and beautiful ring. It is made of 14k white gold with three stones in a prong setting. The band is also very unique in the fact that the outer prongs of the outside diamonds create a second band on top of the first resulting in a band that looks like it has a smaller band on top of the larger band. I tried to find a good professional picture of a similar band but it is so unusual that I couldn't find anything like it! Without further ado, my ring:



Mr. Olive had the other ring turned into a pendant for his sister as a thank you for giving him the earrings. What a sweetheart!

No comments: